Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

SARAWAK --- A PLACE LIKE NO OTHER

Since this post is going to be, ahhh quite informative, so I’ll try to use English as much as possible. Sarawak (pronounced /səˈrɑːwɑːk/) is the largest state in Malaysia but I guess, one of the underdeveloped states because of its mighty size. Sarawak is mostly mountainous and it consists of series of mountain range namely Banjaran Tama Abu, Banjaran Kapuas Hulu and Banjaran Iran which we shared with Indonesia. Sarawak is situated in the Island of Borneo which happens to have the world's oldest rainforests, with over 8,000 species of flowering plants, including some 2,000 species of trees, 200 odd palms and more than 800 varieties of orchids - a horticulturists’ dream come true… =) Among the other well-known flowers are the hibiscus (Malaysia's national flower), and the evil, foul-smelling Rafflesia, measuring up to a metre across, weighing up to 9 kg, and smelling like rotting meat – aahhh well; a vulture's dream come true. Thankfully, it blooms only once in a while.

I guess my plagiarised description of Sarawak’s rainforest will not disturb you dear readers. The capital city of Sarawak is Kuching, my dearly beloved hometown and believe it or not, I’m one of the 579,900 residents of Kuching!!! Feuwhhhhh again… lesser traffic jam compared to Malaysia’s capital city, Kuala Lumpur. Actually, I’m a bit lazy to write tonight but as I’ve promised, I’ll just continue writing until my lappy runs out of battery… =) overall, Sarawak’s total population up-to-date is around 2,357,500… that’s a huge amount of carbon emission! Well, a bit on Sarawak’s history; we have the White Rajahs starting with James Brooke who invaded and colonised the state of Sarawak for more than a hundred years starting in 24 September 1841; when the short-minded long-gone Sultan of Brunei (sorry to have used that word) handed over Sarawak to His Majesty. Nevertheless, they (the Rajahs) built Fort Margherita, the Astana of Sarawak, Sarawak’s old court building and these structures (and many more) is situated not far from my home… hehehe…

Sarawak on the other hand, after a careful observation, I believed having the most diverse ethnic in Malaysia. Sarawak has more than 40 sub-ethnic groupseach with its own distinct language, culture and lifestyle. Cities and larger towns are populated predominantly by Malays, Melanaus, Chinese, and a smaller percentage of Ibans and Bidayuhs who have migrated from their home-villages for employment reasons and for some reason, Sarawak is distinct with other states in Malaysia in the sense of the size of its Indian community. Wowwwww… which is smaller. There were also the Kayans, Kelabits, Penans, Lun Bawang, Kenyah and Sebob/Chebob which is the least known tribe in Sarawak… m-y-s-t-e-r-y =O ahhh yes, the Melanaus is a very “special” ethnic in Sarawak. Well, Pak Uban aka Pehin Sri Haji Abdul Taib Mahmud (Sarawak’s current Chief Minister) is a Melanau and his new wife, goshhhhh hotttttt! (Just to stay up-to-date). =) emmmmm… in the context of cultural diversities, I can prove it just by looking at myself. I’m a mix; Malay+Javanese+Melanau+a bit Chinese... well, I’m not quite sure of the Chinese part… hehehe. Never mind, let’s continue our journey into Sarawak.



Christianity is the largest professed religion in Sarawak with Islam being the second. Well, this must be the work of the Missionaries… ;) hehehe… ouh, ouh, before I forget, Sarawak is divided into eleven divisions (yupp, eleven) and they are so named Betong, Bintulu, Kapit, Kuching, Limbang, Miri, Mukah, Samarahan, Sarikei, Sibu, and the Sri Aman Division. What I love about Sarawak (particularly Kuching) is its coastal area. Even though its sea is not blue as it is in Pulau Langkawi, or green as it is in Sempoarna, well, it’s a gift from Allah! I appreciate that very much. Pantai Damaithe most famous beach in Kuching (not Sarawak; I reckoned) with its white sand, dark green bluish water, ahh… it’s just great! (Clearly, I’ve run out of ideas right now). I guess I’ll stop here and if there is any inquirypleasedon’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you for reading.




Sarawak's State Museum (the building originally built during the Rajahs Dynasty; served as an administrative office)





Sarawak's flag during Rajahs' period.





Sarawak's Waterfront, where Sarawak's old court building is situated and Fort Margherita and Astana is situated not far from this place.





Sarawak's new multi-million ringgit House of Representatives.






 Kuching International Airport, main gateway to Sarawak.

We Welcome YOU to Sarawak! 

No comments:

Post a Comment